For the first time ever the NCAA and TEAM Coalition partnered at the 2017 NCAA Lacrosse Championship in Foxboro, MA on May 26 – May 29, 2017. This was the first year that alcohol was served at the Lacrosse Championship and TEAM was there to reward fans who made the Responsibility Has Its Rewards pledge to:
• Buckle Up – Every Trip, Every Time
• Never Drive Drunk
• Always Have a Designated Driver
Fans from all over the country gathered at Gillette Stadium to watch the Men’s and Women’s D-I, Men’s D-II and Men’s D-III championship games. For the second year in a row Men’s and Women’s D-I championship was a sweep by the same University – Maryland took home both trophies. Limestone College won the Men’s D-II championship and Salisbury University took home the Men’s D-III Championship.
Over 800 fans took the Responsibility pledge, signed the inflatable lacrosse stick and received a free souvenir photo.
US DOT / NHTSA 2015 NATIONAL DATA:
• In 2015, 10,265 people were killed as a result of alcohol-related (BAC > 0.08) car crashes, an increase of 3.2% from the 9,943 fatalities in 2014.
• Many, if not most of those lives would have been saved if people did not drive when they were impaired by alcohol or if they used sober, designated drivers or if they simply wore their seat belts.
• Statistics and research clearly show that 21-34 year old males are the demographic most likely to be involved in an automobile crash.