TEAM Coalition traveled to USA Softball Hall of Fame Stadium in Oklahoma City, OK for the 2019 NCAA Women’s College World Series from May 30 to June 2, 2019. With alcohol served, TEAM was there to reward fans who made the Responsibility Has Its Rewards pledge to:
• Buckle Up – Every Trip, Every Time
• Never Drive Drunk
• Always Have a Designated Driver
Fans from all over the country traveled to Oklahoma City, OK to cheer on their favorite teams and watch some high level softball. TEAM asked fans to make the Responsibility Has Its Rewards pledge by autographing the responsibility wall and smiling for a souvenir photo.
Over 430 fans made the responsibility pledge while enjoying the pre-game festivities at WCWS Fan Fest before each game. The 170 photos taken were viewed a total of 391 times, an average of 2.3 views per photo. The championships were perfectly timed with the U.S. Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) high visibility enforcement campaign for seat belts called Click It Or Ticket. All photos included either the Click It Or Ticket message to encourage fans to buckle up or the Buzzed Driving is Drunk Driving message to prevent drunk driving.
US DOT / NHTSA 2017 NATIONAL DATA:
• In 2017, 10,874 people were killed as a result of alcohol-related (BAC > 0.08) car crashes, a decrease of 1.1% from the 10,996 fatalities in 2016.
• Many, if not most of those lives would have been saved if people did not drive when they were impaired by alcohol or if they used sober, designated drivers or if they simply wore their seat belts.
• Statistics and research clearly show that 21-34 year old males are the demographic most likely to be involved in an automobile crash, drive when impaired by alcohol, and fail to buckle up.