For the third year in a row, the NCAA and TEAM Coalition partnered at the NCAA Men;s Lacrosse Championship. The 2019 event was held at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia, PA on May 25 – May 27, 2019. With alcohol served, TEAM was there to reward fans who made the Responsibility Has Its Rewards pledge to:
• Buckle Up – Every Trip, Every Time
• Never Drive Drunk
• Always Have a Designated Driver
Fans from all over the country gathered to watch the Men’s D-I, D-II and D-III championship games. The Virginia Cavaliers defeated the defending national champion Yale Bulldogs to take home their sixth NCAA title. Merrimack College took home the Men’s D-II Championship winning back-to-back titles and Cabrini University won their first ever D-III championship.
Over 350 fans took the responsibility pledge, signed the Responsibility Wall and received a free souvenir photo. The 150 photos taken were viewed 283 times for an average of 1.88 views per photo. The championships were perfectly timed with the U.S. Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) high visibility enforcement campaign for seat belts called Click It Or Ticket. All photos included either the Click It Or Ticket message to encourage fans to buckle up or the Buzzed Driving is Drunk Driving message to prevent drunk driving.
US DOT / NHTSA 2017 NATIONAL DATA:
- In 2017, 10,874 people were killed as a result of alcohol-related (BAC > 0.08) car crashes, a decrease of 1.1% from the 10,996 fatalities in 2016.
- Many, if not most of those lives would have been saved if people did not drive when they were impaired by alcohol or if they used sober, designated drivers or if they simply wore their seat belts.
- Statistics and research clearly show that 21-34 year old males are the demographic most likely to be involved in an automobile crash